OQLF French Exam
Anyone applying for issuance of a licence must meet one of the following conditions regarding the knowledge of French:
- have successfully taken the OACIQ examination drafted in French
- have received, full time, no less than three years of secondary or post-secondary instruction provided in French
- have passed the fourth or fifth year secondary level examinations in French as the first language.
Please note that the Charter of the French language recognizes that a person already has this knowledge if the person obtained a secondary school certificate in Québec as of the school year 1985-86.
In all other cases, this knowledge is evaluated by way of an examination administered by the Office québécois de la langue française. Proof of success in this examination will be required if a person who applies for an OACIQ licence takes the Organization’s examination in English and does not meet one of the above conditions regarding knowledge of French.
The OQLF implemented a new French exam that has been in force since February 12, 2018.
The new exam includes four activities:
1) a preparatory activity of reading and taking notes about a case study on the professional reality of the candidate;
2) a group oral expression activity where the case is discussed. An active participation in group discussions is mandatory to move on to other exam activities;
3) an individual written work on the case submitted;
4) an individual interview with the assessor about new case-related elements.
Candidates who have already taken the exam, but have not yet passed all four parts
2) You may also choose to take the French exam in its new form. In this case, the decision is final and irreversible. If you choose this option, you must send an email or the coupon attached to the letter that was sent to you recently to the OQLF, indicating your file number.
Please note: As of August 12, 2018, candidates will be invited to the new French exam. The four parts of the exam must be successfully completed during the same session. As the new exam forms an inseparable whole, it will not be possible to exempt a candidate from one or more parts of the exam that were successfully completed previously.
We therefore invite you to respond as quickly as possible to the letter sent to you by the OQLF to indicate the chosen option and, if applicable, complete your exam process before the end of the transition period.
Since the beginning of January 2018, new candidates from whom the OQLF receives a registration form will be invited to take the new exam, in groups of four, six or eight according to a new schedule. These groups will be comprised of individuals wishing to become members of the same professional order [in this case, OACIQ licence holders]. If you fail, you will have to retake the entire exam.
Note: If you have to take the OQLF’s French exam to obtain a certificate, you must first be registered for the OACIQ examination. Here’s the procedure:
- Contact the OACIQ at firstname.lastname@example.org;
- The French Examination Registration Form provided by the OQLF will be mailed. Complete it and return it to the OACIQ along with the required documents;
- The form will then be transmitted to the OQLF by the OACIQ;
- The OQLF will invite you to the French examination;
- If you successfully complete the French examination, the OQLF will send us the results.
For more information, contact Info OACIQ.